Flight Operations

Screenshots, Stories, Movies, and Tall Tales...

Flight Operations

Postby faelanstevie »

Hi,

I've been looking into aviation jobs more seriously in the past few days (I'm in my last year at college and really want a job in the aviation industry when I leave whether it be for an airline or something else.) I've heard of "flight operations" and I think it sounds pretty good but how do you go about getting into this? I've been checking out some airlines' website (BA, Easyjet, bmi, Virgin) but non of them list anything about flight operations. Makes me wonder if they don't employ people directly into it - do you have to work for the airline for a while then get the chance to do it? Any help from anyone who is a "flight operator" (if that's the word) would be greatly appreciated, especially from people who work for airlines in the UK.

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339265

Thanks
faelanstevie

Aircraft varients help needed

Postby faelanstevie »

Hi,

I keep a log on my computer of every flight I have taken, including aircraft types and varients, but when I add flights to it, I often have trouble finding out what exactly I've flown on, as different websites- Airfleets, planespotters, FR24 etc. all vary a little. I mostly encounter this problem when logging Bombardier and A330/340 varients, for example is it a CRJ900ER or LR, Dash 8-300 or Q300, or an A340-300/300E/300X. Does anyone know of a website that is likely to be accurate and definitive on this matter?

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1367275

Thanks
faelanstevie

Re: Aircraft varients help needed

Postby AADX »

I have a couple pieces of information and advice for you

on the subject of getting into aviation. it actually is quite difficult even for seemingly benign and insignificant roles. go to each of the major and minor airline websites and into their careers section and just submit resumes. rarely are they listed on indeed or glassdoor etc. Are you talking about essentially an "air traffic controller"? if so, the FAA or EASA websites will have information about the criteria to do those.

if you want to be a pilot for any, you will have to go through an aviation college and many of the airlines have some fraction of tuition reimbursement, what you are looking for at airline sites is their 'cadet' programs. so be prepared to fork out huge money for such an aviation school for the sake of getting into an airline (pilot) job.

on the subject of logging your simulated flights, I will say this. if you were to hand over a simulator flight log of high end airliners, they are just going to toss that aside and laugh in your face. may even crumple it up or laugh as pushing it away or back to you. that sort of Airbus and Boeing, and 747, 767, 777, 7XX, or Airbus Any, same.. is what destroys your credibility for using the simulator for legitimate training and loging. That is not legit flight times, it's parking on autopilot for 95%, with auto landing ILS landings. LOL.

If you want to use simulator time for logging 'credible' flights, and I don't mean legal logging, I mean "I did this and I worked it and maintained/exercised/obtained flight experience while doing so". is to burn time in King Air or otherwise any highly complex(difficult) aircraft that legitimately is single pilot operation legal. hard, but legal.

Anyway. it's not impressive to have a list of simulated flights in airliners. that's called being an "armchair captain". any instructor or any employer will just laugh and entirely disregard it. bring it down to king air's, low end citations (not glass), and maybe a 208 caravan. work hard. actually do full procedures. keep simulated flights in a separate log, do not mix them. then you can show actual flight time. and simulated (ground school homework) flights.

Get a job at an FBO. look at airport information on airnav.com and see if you can get any job at the FBO from customer service at the desk or Ramp. still hard to get into those jobs too but it's a step and direction.

That's my advice.
Here’s to the crazy ones. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently.
While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
AADX
Administrator

Re: Flight Operations

Postby AADX »

Here’s to the crazy ones. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently.
While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
AADX
Administrator

Return to Crew Lounge