PIPERS_1020* [NEWS]

Major News & Update Information

PIPERS_1020* [NEWS]

Postby AADX » 29 Jun 2011 10:55

PIPERS 970(97X)

Following direct to X-Plane matched number version, intended use and support for. PIPERS_970 is ready.

This version features all interiors re-rendered cockpit textures, getting more light into there, maximum ray quantity for the finest resolution and least rendering grain. All of them have more consistent material use thorough which is most likely seen on the glareshields and specular value on the interior surfaces. All interiors have updated normals with finer and sharper grain to give the glareshield texture a proper appearance, same goes with the carpet and seats.

Arrow III now has it's 3D native interior, including both digital and analog panel types, and since it was done later in the lot it has night interior lamp treatment which is a special treat for that PA28, and gift since it held out so long otherwise in it's prior cockpit/interior format. Please enjoy seeing the pictures below of it. Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom for more information.

PA-46-500TP MERIDIAN
PA-46-350P MIRAGE
PA-46-310P MALIBU
PA-44-180 SEMINOLE
PA-34-220T SENECA V
PA-32R-301T SARATOGA II TC
PA-28R-201 ARROW III
PA-28R-200 ARROW I
PA-28-235 PATHFINDER/DAKOTA
PA-28-181 ARCHER III
PA-28-180 CHEROKEE
PA-28-161 WARRIOR III
PA-28-160 CHEROKEE
PA-28-140 CHEROKEE

---

PA-46-500TP MERIDIAN

PA-46-350P MIRAGE

PA-46-310P MALIBU

PA-44-180 SEMINOLE

PA-34-220T SENECA V

PA-32R-301T SARATOGA II TC

PA-28R-201 ARROW III

PA-28R-200 ARROW I

PA-28-235 PATHFINDER/DAKOTA

PA-28-181 ARCHER III

PA-28-180 CHEROKEE

PA-28-161 WARRIOR III

PA-28-160 CHEROKEE

PA-28-140 CHEROKEE

-----

Some of you may ask, why I don't write anything about the planes or anything. After a long time of writing what I feel is valid and enthusiastic descriptions, which ultimately are subjective, and words themselves can be meaningless. Many other people use boastful words, hype, and fanfare about things that are actually not as they describe. So, I believe, "a picture is worth a thousand words", that spans across all languages, cultures, and is absent of hype and any boasting. What you see, is what there is, is what you get.

It goes without saying, though sometimes it needs to be for new people who may not know otherwise. My flight models are undisputed, maximum fidelity. verifiable, and simply *right*. The aircraft are based on, and built up from the proper core foundation, so that every verifiable number, can be.

It needs to also be made clear, that in today's day and age of 3D structured cockpits and interiors, some may ask, why mine are the way they are. The fact is, that up to every single one of you reading this, will want to rearrange the panel to suit your preference. Rearrange it like the plane you used to fly, like the one you own, like the one at your flight school. Maybe different instrument arrangement, maybe different choice or preference of radios. This is the *only* method that can permit and provide for different panel configurations and end user modifiable panel layout, in a 3D cockpit aircraft. Combine that with that the panels do have 3D render baked shadow effects, and in some cases 3D lamp rendered night light treatments also, which apply on top of whatever you have as your panel.

Some may ask, why all the panels are black. Well, if you go back and look at earlier versions of Pipers, the modern ones did have beige, but due to feedback/request pressure for black (elder style) base panels, I yielded and gave them black base panels. Some may ask why the interiors seem dark, well, that is a very fine delicate balance between reality, as seen by eye in each of two places one can look, and as seen by camera in each of taken intending to see it as closely as by eye, or blasted by flash and with doors open. I have a topic started about cockpit interior brightness, showing actual in aircraft, in flight, pictures and showing a similar x-plane screenshot for comparison. I know many people are used to the camera flash version of interior images... and it's just incorrect up to outright inappropriate. I need to continue on the interior shade topic separately, and take more pictures. As all of the aircraft are, I design the interiors on color calibrated displays in neutral room light. As I see them, is a delicate balance between appearing rich, versus too bright, versus too dark.

Cockpit view brightness/darkness [topic in progress]
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=557

Since this topic comes up *very often* I'll go ahead and reference it here also. This is about how to get your preferred view of the cockpit/panel in 3D native aircraft. This will vary for each person and your preference, and your display size/ratio.

FOV & Verite [cockpit view topic]
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=130

So, as you've scanned through a sickening amount of pictures above, that's not even all of them. Not shown are the alternate liveries available on many of them which are shown on their respective detail pages if you click their linked names.

Remember, everything you see here on this page, is all together, all part of the PIPERS collective ensemble group product, all at $1/plane/release, everything you see here, only $14. Insane, I am; but there is a method to my madness and fairness, reasonability, mutual respect, honor, ethics, and diligence are all key ingredients. These aircraft get ~constant~ service and attendance, they never are let sit. The blurb on the policy page about them tells what I had written about the dynamic, but I'll say more right here. They earn their way, each time over, on a 1:1 basis. No hollow promises about the future, work done is support earned. Or not, it's your choice. Not enough new content since the last version you already have, skip it. If there is something new in there you want, new panel work, interior work, texturing, flight model attention, turning.. or to be current for support. you choose to get them when you choose to. WYSIWYG. Respect and stand_up conduct is behind what PIPERS are, and what I foster in all of my operations. No lies, no hype, no antics. Sales disrespect people. sales_antics disrespect people. arbitrary pricing antics insult people and devalue all involved. "there is a reason for everything" Everything I do, say and make, all has a reason. Everyone has their opinion of what things are worth, their opinion of what other peoples time is worth, their opinion of what xyz entitles them to. I request, and require, people to be reasonable, respectful, and rational adults. Treat each other how you want to be treated.

To quote from a recent review:
I would have to say that this is a must have for X-Plane and every X-Plane pilot needs to have these Pipers in his/her hangar. If you don’t have these planes right now you need to head on over to http://www.air.c74.net and grab these.

Here’s to the crazy ones. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently.
While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
AADX
Administrator

Re: PIPERS_970 [NEWS]

Postby AADX » 13 Jul 2011 11:47

Keith Smith wrote:+1 on Chandler's Pipers. I haven't tried some of the more modern, high-end payware aircraft, but based on everything I've read, the handling of Chandler's planes are second to none. At the end of the day, what could possibly be more important than that?

I used his Piper Warrior for several hundred hours to become a r/w instrument-rated pilot. I also used the Saratoga to increase my workload, so that when I flew a 172 in the real world, things would be that much easier.  As it turned out, I eventually stepped into a very high performance aircraft (faster than the Saratoga, in fact), so I'm very grateful that I spent the time in his higher end airplanes, too.

There is absolutely no way that I would have reached my current level of proficiency were it not for his aircraft.

Keith
Here’s to the crazy ones. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
AADX
Administrator

Postby AADX » 20 Jul 2011 10:53

:)

I couldn't have said it better myself Guy, thank you for fielding that question, and for saying it like it is.

Guy wrote:Jason's flight models are good enough for use in FAA approved training devices (FTD/AATD)

AADX
Administrator

Postby AADX » 16 Aug 2011 13:14

experimenting with an additional process or two to the workflow to make the interior normals. the updated process as of this update applies to the 28-1X0 models and the PA46 models. varies the specularity along with the presence/appearance of normals on the interior surfaces relative to light and shading. applies probably most dramatically to the seats, carpet and glareshield. See if you can notice the effect.

re-baking all items with another pass of increased light inside the cockpit for all the "it's dark" people. I have to attribute the difference to what seems to be most of the new displays that have "HD" high contrast that may actually be artificially strong contrast making darks ~darker~. So, a 25% change in the settings that were in there for the last round, to a yet-brighter-again pass. and then this same brighter pass being used in the new workflow process for the varied specular interior normals
AADX
Administrator

Postby AADX » 22 Aug 2011 16:26

Worked through the new process to make the specular variance for interiors using a multi layered method. This version of the method I am quite content with, it applies the virtues of different layer effects to get a specular variance on the surface of the material that is directly related to the materials, structures, and appearance. You may notice, you may not. If you look at any of the NRM files you'll see the solid/alpha variance that controls specularity on the objects. Areas that should not have any light getting down there, should not be specular either.
AADX
Administrator

Postby AADX » 14 Oct 2011 18:45

2011.10.14 - Updated all models with a new flight model control system rate methodology. Exactly what it is, I'm not saying publicly. It's a good sound valid logic that addresses a lot of various things and other peoples opinions at once. Unique flight model updates per each model. All Piper models, and actually all other aircraft have been given the same new flight model attribute. Additionally, PA46 models have an update to their interiors, glare shield, interior object layer one, remapped and re-baked day and night textures. I believe that started as updating the forward windshield lower edge which had a seam glitch, that turned into enhancing the windscreen center pillar, re-coloring it a little lighter to match the grey shade on the side window ledges. So it's smoothly shaded, smooth base transition. I think it looks pretty nice. Malibu, Mirage and Meridian, day and night. All others, flight model improvement while preserving existing data integrity. :) :geek:
AADX
Administrator

Postby AADX » 23 Apr 2012 13:45

Hi Jason,

I have just paid for the collection of piper's via paypal and I am looking
forward to downloading them. They look great on your web site and more
importantly I have read a number of reviews regarding how accurately they fly
I am relatively new to Xplane 9.7 and have been following the how to fly
instructions on the xplane.org web site.

Kind regards
Tom.

... a much appreciated candid testimonial like that is the best kind there is. fitting to quotes

On May 28, 2012, at 8:58 PM, Robert Erdman wrote:

Jason,

Thanks for the prompt response and great explanation, It all makes sense. Just so you know, all of your Cirrus’s, Piper’s, and Cessna’s that I own all interface and function properly with the FlyThisSim (FTS) panel’s. Not all manufacturers who claim that they can, do.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Bob
AADX
Administrator

Postby AADX » 09 Oct 2012 15:55

updated. 28-161, 28-181, 28-201, 32-301, 34-220, 44-180, 46-310, 46-350, 46-500....

I have an update brewing now but I'd like to get through the rest of the models to apply the same new night panel technique to them all at the same time. So watch for that around monday or tuesday next week. Along with that statement I have view tested them in both v9 and v10 and at the cockpit panel view they look great. In the screenshot thread presently/recently there's some comparison shots of the LJ25 in both to see the subtle panel shade differences of the same model in each version. I think you all will like the night panel treatment that's coming, it's a simple solution but has some very nicely appreciated subtle visual effects.

Update posted today that applies the night treatments to all the models that don't have light baked LIT interiors. These others have the 3d emitting lamp in the cockpit area, carefully adjusted for what feels to me like the right light setting. And new panel night treatment that gives it a more natural area flood light look and ambiance. This update also includes new interior models that are without ATTR specular # which is causing v10 some choking and appearance anomalies, namely overly shiny, far beyond the tiny specular ratio specified. So, without the specified specular attribute they drop back down to relatively matte default. In many cases the view angle adjusted for when viewed on a modern wide format display at up to 90 FOV. Your mileage will vary and you'll have to adjust your FOV to suit yourself, but I have gone through and adjusted them to suit my eye for viewpoint altitude and elevation.

Work continues on the 28-1X0 group now but that will be it's own separate update coming later this week or into next.

updated. 28-140, -160, -180, -235, -200R. Interior model, separation of it's interior parts to different groups with their own uv maps, normal/specular map, better more efficient use of the mesh and it's unwrapping to better use the uv map image areas. removed the speckled interior walls and also away went the window edge area graphic borders that blurred at different rendering options and had come up from the lower resolution source files. These now look much cleaner and crisper. The 3d_lamps adjusted in all the PA28''s and all the basic night treatment models and I tuned it's lamp brightness and location, along with the new night panel treatment, so it should look pretty nice. But do remember, it's intended to be night flown in the aircraft, in real night or dark room. If you try to night fly during the daytime in a bright room…. hehe. :P

updated for #10 analog import compliance re the (bogus) 'airfoil' file dependency on panel import read. For #10 users, if you would like to change the misc-OBJ attachment setting for 'shadows' on the exterior objects, usually fuselage, wings, or EXT named in the object choice list. If on your copy that you use in #10, you change the EXT objects from shadow mode 'all' to 'exterior'. What that will do is stop the exterior fuselage from putting your interior into a cave. I'm still talking to LR about changing this default behavior so exterior/exterior and interior/interior(or all). changes so that content still saved in #9 format to work in both for people who are on both sides of the still wide divide. and also change that default behavior to let .ACF format aircraft look great, naturally as they can't get that shadow mode setting at all. but I digress. it's a change you can set so you can let global/3d_shadow light into your cockpits.
AADX
Administrator

Re: PIPERS_1020* [NEWS]

Postby AADX » 22 Feb 2013 18:29

PIPERS_970 and _1020 BOTH are serviced presently. Meaning, when I identify things needing to be adjusted for _1020's, I do, which serves the models when used in X-Plane 10.11 (and soon/eventually to be X-Plane 10.20). AND then I go back and retrofit, applying that change to PIPERS_970 as an update to data values in those models being a form of an update to those still valid models, used by numerous people still using X-Plane 9.70. as well as making those _970's 'better' useable in v10, while not specifically tailored for new features of v10.

This thread does reflect the aircraft as screenshot taken and as represented. Please understand it's hard to update screenshots when some things are done to update/change models a little here, a little there. Plus, v10 has such widely varied rendering options and modes, that, sadly, everyone is going see things somewhat differently. Be it the shadow mode, HDR on or off, even simply gamma # value setting. Or time of day, or cloud coverage. It's very frustrating for me and again, for much the same reason I show images of most aircraft models in blender, not in x-plane, is because everyone is going to end up seeing things differently and relative to your x-plane rendering options settings. brighter, darker, whathaveyou.

Same concepts apply to all of my aircraft, the data # is like a spreadsheet, it need not be changed following tide or wave movements of x-plane. The data # is the data # and is factual and finite. Good data yesterday, is good data today, is good data tomorrow. As much as I want to cull the herd of Pipers, pull out the marginally popular items, I end up self-reminded of why they're there. Invariably someone always wants that one other PA-# variant.

They remain because they're part of the group, the whole group supports the meek members of the group, they being $1/plane/release. Incrementally supported, new work applied at each step along a path. No hype, no vapor promises of something grand tomorrow if only you pay today. today = today. incremental steps forward along a path, and the more I see or don't see a model being enjoyed, may lend to what ultimately happens to it. Just like the PiperJet, instead of retired and otherwise killed off, and because it has the nice Garmin GS panel system, it was put in with PIPERS_1020 which makes the total group 15 aircraft, yep, at $1/ea, for only $15. A person can pay upwards of $25-30-35 for one Carenado model. which is fine, and it's panel is not changeable, and it is one PA-#, probably not the # you want, or need. Each vendor and each product has it's place, value, and use. I don't try to compete with every other 3d-modeller out there, I can't.. that'd be a battle of futility. I have my priorities, which always have been said as flight_model / then / appearance.

so, onward with PIPERS_1020. some recent images in screenshots show the Malibu Mirage on a nice flight from San Diego to Yuma, with the sun and shadows doing their thing on the exterior obviously, and as well as the interior. :)
AADX
Administrator

Re: PIPERS_1020* [NEWS]

Postby AADX » 17 Dec 2013 18:59

On Mar 7, 2013, at 2:30 PM, Benjamin Reich wrote:

Wow. Thank you so much. Working beautifully! Amazing work! The Seminole (PA-44-180) is just like the real one I've flown! Truly incredible.

On Apr 24, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Alex Mortlock wrote:

I just wanted to let you know that I have never been more pleased with a plane set ever! The PA-34-220T is magnificent
and is almost 100% like my plane in regards to flight characteristics and accounts for the digital avionics in my 2007.

On Dec 17, 2013, at 5:36 AM, Marnix van der Galien wrote:

Dear Jason,

after quick research on what acf files where best for x plane and procedure training, i came across a number of boards that referred to you. I have registered through your website with the username marnixsjoerd, after ordering the Piper 1020 package. Please send me the download links for the aircraft.

Thank you for your time,
Marnix van der Galien
AADX
Administrator

Return to Announcements